[LDM #HRQ-388363]: Replacing LDM with rsync

Hi Leonard,

> Full Name: Leonard Sitongia
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version:
> Operating System:
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: We use LDM to transfer files from our observatory in
> Hawaii to here in Boulder.  It is a simple, two-node, network.
>
> It has been recommended that we replace LDM by the simple use of rsync to
> transfer the files.
>
> Are you familiar with rsync so that you could give me a quick comparison of
> LDM and rsync?  I don't know what me will lose in switching from LDM to
> rsync.  We do have a simple configuration of two systems and I know that LDM
> can handle much more complex networks of clients and servers.  I know that
> LDM is event driven and we would have to poll with rsync.  Are there any
> other issues to consider?

The main issue is, as you indicated, polling vs. event-driven. How soon do you
need to process the data? The LDM system has pqact(1) to process data; I don't
think rsync has anything similar, so data-processing would have to be part of
the rsync-using script (with detection of new data).

Good luck.

> Thanks,
> ==Leonard

Regards,