[LDM #LTE-486303]: LDM direstory slowly showing percent used increasing

Hi Bill,

> We have received reports that over time the directory that files are
> being written to is showing an increase in percent used.
>
> LDM writes files to the /data/Incoming directory. A separate process
> then moves these files to another location removing them from
> the /data/incoming.  Normally the /data/incoming show 2 to 3 percent,
> but over time some sites see these grow to 15 percent or higher. Doing a
> ls on the directory does not show any old file.  Stopping LDM and
> restarting  drops the percent used back to 2 to 3 percent.
>
> Using ldm-6.6.5

I suspect that one or more pqact(1) processes are holding some large files open
for a long time.  In UNIX, if a file is removed while a process has it open,
then the directory entry for the file will be deleted (so that an ls(1) won't
show it) but the file will still exist and can even be written to and read from
by the process that has it open.  The file won't truly disappear until the
process that has it open terminates (via the "ldmadmin stop").

I recommend using the lsof(1) and ls(1) utilities to determine what large files
the pqact(1) processes are keeping open and then adding the "-close" option to
the relevant FILE actions in the pqact(1) configuration-file or files.

Let me know if this diagnosis is all wet.  :-)

> Thanks you
>
> --
> William Gery - KA2FNK
> Office 816-268-3152