[LDM #ETD-909520]: Migrating Architectures and Keeping in sync

Hi Jeremy,

re:
> Another facility downstream from us will be changing their server (running
> LDM 6.7) from sparc to intel (still Solaris).  We want to ensure that they
> don't miss any data from their downtime.

Are they spinning up a new machine or reloading the OS on the existing one?
I can't see how it would be the same machine since you say one is SPARC
and the other is Intel.  Given this, why not setup the new Intel machine
to start ingesting data before the old SPARC one is decommissioned?

> I assume they can't move their existing queue to the new architecture

Correct.

> and I don't see any compelling reason to do so.

There isn't.

> However, can they move their state files (the ones in the etc
> directory)?

I am not sure if the can or if this is needed.  If the machine sending
data to the downstream facility has an LDM queue that is large enough
to hold all of the data that would be sent during the downstream machine's
downtime, then all the downstream has to do is extend the data request
to the period before its downtime.

> Would moving the state files as well as ensuring -m and -o are set large
> enough enable them to start retrieving data from where they left off?

Again, I am not sure that you need to move/copy the state files from
the old installation to the new one.

Ticket ID: ETD-909520
Department: Support LDM