[LDM #AJF-540541]: Questions about ldmd.conf feedset and ALLOW restrictions

Hi Karl,

I believe that Jeff Weber answered the questions below separately, but I want
to make sure that you got the information you need...

re:
> From the ldmd.conf instructions I have:
>
> # Give permission to downstream LDM-s to request data-products from your LDM.
> #
> # ALLOW <feedset> <hostname pattern> [<OK pattern> [<not pattern>]]
> #
> # where:
> #       <feedset>               is the set of feedtypes for this entry
> #       <hostname pattern>      is an extended regular-expression that
> specifies
> #                               which hosts are allowed to receive
> data-products
> #                               whose feedtype is in <feedset>.
> #       <OK pattern>            is an optional extended regular-expression
> that
> #                               a product-identifier must match in order to be
> #                               sent to the requesting LDM.  The default value
> #                               is ".*".
> #       <not pattern>           is an optional extended regular-expression
> that
> #                               a product-identifier must NOT match in order
> #                               be sent to the requesting LDM.  If this field
> is
> #                               empty, then such matching will be disabled for
> #                               this entry.
> #
>
> Since we ALLOW ANY to unidata my questions are:
>
> Can I create my own "feedset" for example VIP?

No.  <feedset> in this documentation means the feed or set of feeds
that are ALLOWED.  The feed names supported by the LDM are detailed
in:

LDM Feedtypes of the Current Release
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/feedtypes/

ANY refers to the union of all existing feedtypes.

> It isn't immediately obvious to
> me if the LDM set up has a list of accepted feedset's that I need to use.

It is.  The online LDM reference material has more on this topic.  Please
refer to the LDM Users Guide in:

LDM HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/

->LDM 6.7.0 home page
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-6.7.0/

  ->LDM Reference
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-6.7.0/basics/index.html

> 2nd, If I restrict an ALLOW to a set of hosts, once Unidata has it, will those
> restrictions still apply?

No.  The restrictions must be set on each machine.

> #For example in ldmd.conf I have:
>
> ALLOW   ANY     ^[a-z].*\.unidata\.ucar\.edu\.?$        .*
>
> # Therefore all feeds go to Unidata.
> # Thus if I put:
> # Allow Russian Hydrometerological Ctr. and other VIPs
>
> ALLOW VIP ^[a-z].*mecom.ru$   .*
>
> Will mecom.ru be the only domain that can get the VIP feed once that feed
> is "gobbled up" by the ANY feed to Unidata?

No.

Ticket ID: AJF-540541