[IDD #UET-446469]: can't get data

Hi Jinn-Hwei,

re:
> We have been using ldm 6.4.5 on Solaris8 machine for the past 2 years.
> We have trouble to get  data since yesterday.
>
> The following data are the one that we have been using for a while:
> ncwf6/grib/
>
> 120min_fcst/   1hrcov/        300min_fcst/   3hrcov/        NCWD2/
> 120min_fetop/  240min_fcst/   300min_fetop/  60min_fcst/    OETOP/
> 180min_fcst/   240min_fetop/  360min_fcst/   60min_fetop/
> 180min_fetop/  2hrcov/        360min_fetop/  msktops/

Please send us the content of:

~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf
~ldm/logs/ldmd.log

(the following comments are results of our phone conversation this morning)

Since your ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log file is empty (0 bytes in length) and its
time stamp has not been updated since 2006, we believe that LDM logging
has never worked on your system.  The first step needed to troubleshoot your
data ingest problem is to get LDM logging working.

The Unidata LDM web pages describe what a site must do to configure LDM logging:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

->LDM HomePage
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm

  ->LDM 6.6.5 home page             <- the instructions for setting up logging
are the same in
                                       LDM-6.6.5 as they were in LDM-6.4.5
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-6.6.5/

    ->Installing, Configuring, and Activating the LDM System
      Preinstallation Steps

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-6.6.5/basics/preinstallation.html

Instructions for configuring LDM logging by modification of the
/etc/syslog.conf file
are included in the last page above.

NOTEs:

- configuring /etc/syslog.conf must be done by 'root'

- the whitespace in the /etc/syslog.conf entries listed in the instructions for
configuring
  /etc/syslog.conf are tabs, not spaces.  It is _very_ important that you use
tabs and
  not spaces!

After the appropriate entries have been added to /etc/syslog.conf by 'root', do
the following
as 'ldm':

<as 'ldm'>
hupsyslog         <- sends a HUP signal to the syslogd daemon telling it to
reread its
                     configuration file, /etc/syslog.conf

Next, test to see if /etc/syslog.conf was modified correctly:

<still as 'ldm'>
logger -p local0.debug 'test of ldm logging'

If logging is correctly configured, the message "test of ldm logging" will be
written
to ~ldm/logs/ldm.log.  Check the file to make sure that this message was
successfully
written.

If logging is now working, you will need to stop and restart your LDM.  After
doing
this, LDM log messages should appear in ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log, and we should get an
idea of why your data ingestion is not working like it should.

Please let us know that LDM logging was correctly configured and is now working.

Assuming that logging is working, monitor your data ingestion to see if the
problems
you have reported reappear.  If the problem reappears, please send us the
content
of the ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log file.

> Thank for your help.

No worries.