[Support #TXN-293177]: LDM 6.6.5: make failure on Intel Mac (OS X 10.5)

Dave,

> The LDM hung again yesterday late afternoon. Hence, I'm trying the
> following:
>
> (1) Stopped the LDM.
> (2) Moved the product queue to an external hard drive mounted at
> /Volumes/Virga1Backup, no part of which is NFS mounted by other machines.
> The product queue is now at /Volumes/Virga1Backup/prodqueue/ldmd.pq.
> (3) Created a symbolic link from ~ldm/prodqueue to
> /Volumes/Virga1Backup/prodqueue. The location of the product queue
> specified in ldmadmin-pl.conf (~ldm/prodqueue/ldmd.pq) remains the same,
> as does the symbolic link to the product queue in /data.
> (4) Restarted the LDM.
>
> Things seem to be working normally. If the LDM hangs again despite this
> rearrangement, I'll move /Volumes/Virga1Backup/prodqueue back to ~ldm/.
> I've written a script (~ldm/scripts/rpctest.sh) that I'll run
> automatically every hour to look for a critical  mass of missing data, and
> if it finds too much missing, it will shut down the LDM, abort hung rpc
> processes, validate the product queue and set the writer-counter to zero,
> and restart the LDM.

You should set the value of the $pq_path variable in the "ldmadmin"
configuration-file, etc/ldmadmin-pl.conf, to the actual pathname of
the product-queue; otherwise, an inadvertent "ldmadmin mkqueue"
(which your script does, I presume) will change the symbolic link
into the actual product-queue.

> If the script works as intended, we can probably live more or less
> indefinitely with the situation, though of course it would be nice to see
> if the bug in Leopard, if it's a bug, gets fixed. (Guess I'll have to
> check to see if things work as they're supposed to every time Leopard gets
> updated.)

We've been able to duplicate your problem on Mort, our own Darwin
9.2.0 system.  Hopefully, this will allow us to get at the underlying
cause more rapidly.

I'll keep you apprised.

> -- Dave

> *                                      |         __ __    \|/  *
> *   Dr. Dave Dempsey                   | )   ^  /|| ||\  --0-- *
> *   Dept. of Geosciences               |) ) ^  / ||_|| \  /|\  *
> *   San Francisco State University     | ) )  /  | _ |  \      *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                 |)   )/   || ||   \     *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132          | )   )   ||_||    \    *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716             |  )   )  || ||      \  *
> *   Email:  address@hidden   |  )  )  )  ~  ~   ~ ~  *

Ticket ID: TXN-293177