[Support #TXN-293177]: LDM 6.6.5: make failure on Intel Mac (OS X 10.5)

Dave,

> Since the request entries in my ldmd.conf file don't use the ALTERNATE
> key word, why would this happen? Is it something that happens when two
> requests for the same feed are made to two different upstream LDMs
> (e.g., freshair and ids), both of which are (by default, I guess)
> PRIMARY feeds?

Beginning with LDM 6.4, a downstream LDM has the ability to
automatically switch transfer modes between PRIMARY and ALTERNATE
based upon its success in inserting received data-products into
the product-queue.  This means that, if you obtain the same
data-products from two upstream sites, then it becomes extremely
unlikely that you will stop receiving data-products, or become
backed-up, even if one of the upstream sites goes offline.  As a
consequence of this enhancement, all PRIMARY and ALTERNATE keywords
in the LDM configuration-file are ignored.

One caution, however, the set of data specified in different
REQUEST entries must be either identical or completely disjoint
for this enhancement to work correctly.

Information on this feature can be found in the CHANGE_LOG file
in the LDM distribution as well as at
<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/behavior.html#downstream>
(when I get around to editing it :-).

Regards,