[Support #TXN-293177]: LDM 6.6.5: make failure on Intel Mac (OS X 10.5)

Dave,

> It looks like the LDM on virga is having significant problems again. We're
> getting HDS data OK, I think, but DDPLUS/IDS+ data and UNIWISC data are
> pretty well choked off. I had to kill the LDM rpc's yesterday (Sunday,
> Feb. 24) morning after these data largely stopped coming in, and within a
> few hours the same feeds largely died again, which I noticed just now
> (Monday evening, Feb. 25).
>
> In each case, running "ldmdadmin stop" fails to terminate all of the LDM's
> rpc processes, leaving unterminated three of the eight that are usually
> running. (As far as I can tell based on running "ps -ajexww -o start |
> grep rpc | grep ldm | grep -v grep | grep -v ajex", those three appear to
> be identical except for the elapsed run time.)
>
> I kill them using "kill -9 pid", then try to restart them using "ldmadmin
> start", which doesn't work but tells me to run pqact and pqcheck, after
> running which I can restart the LDM normally.
>
> For your entertainment I've appended a transcript of my feeble attempts to
> restart the dead rpcs.
>
> I hope some insight emerges from this at Unidata's end--I can't go on
> indefinitely trying to stop and restart the LDM every day or three! It's
> discouraging.

I can imagine how frustrating it must be.  Unfortunately, I have no
viable hypotheses as to the cause -- despite considerable poking
around on your system.  Because you're unable to terminate
the LDM processes except via "kill -9", it appears that something
outside the LDM is preventing those processes from continuing.  This
could be a hardware problem, or an O/S problem.

Do you have another system on which you could run the LDM?

> -- Dave

> *                                      |         __ __    \|/  *
> *   Dr. Dave Dempsey                   | )   ^  /|| ||\  --0-- *
> *   Dept. of Geosciences               |) ) ^  / ||_|| \  /|\  *
> *   San Francisco State University     | ) )  /  | _ |  \      *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                 |)   )/   || ||   \     *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132          | )   )   ||_||    \    *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716             |  )   )  || ||      \  *
> *   Email:  address@hidden   |  )  )  )  ~  ~   ~ ~  *

Ticket ID: TXN-293177