[LDM #KQT-994930]: hostname in ldmadmin-pl.conf

Niles,

> In the ldmadmin-pl.conf there is an entry that sets
> the hostname - either hard coded :
>
> $hostname = "myHost.rap.ucar.edu";
>
> or parsing the output of an OS command :
>
> chop($hostname = `uname -n`);
>

> my question is twofold - first, does the host name
> have to be fully qualified, ie. does it need to be
>
> myHost.rap.ucar.edu
>
> instead of just
>
> myHost

The hostname should be full-qualified in order to fulfil its
purpose.

> and secondly, what is this $hostname variable used for?

It is used to to set the "origin" member of the metadata for
all data-products created on or being relayed by the LDM on
the host.

It is also used by the "rtstats" utility in reporting LDM
behavior.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: KQT-994930