[LDM #KQV-820647]: LDM - Directory structure

Hi Mike,

re:
> Well, we're close, but not close enough! We're at the point of starting
> the LDM but we must have missed a runtime step along the way since we're
> missing the data directory structure.  I know the data structure exists
> (/var/data_LDM/ldm/wx_data and /var/data_LDM/ldm/logs) but the
> appropriate links seem to be missing.  I've already checked the file
> permissions but decided to stop at this point with the following stdout
> to check my hunches.
>
> Am I close or still far away?

First, it is a bit unusual to write data to a directory under /var, but
let's not worry about that at the moment.

Second, The listing you sent in a previous email showed that there was a
'data' directory under ~ldm, and it did not appear to be a link to another
directory.  Is ~ldm/data now gone?

> [wxmanldm@godelsrevenge bin]$ ln -s ldm-6.6.3 runtime

What directory were you in when you make this link?  It looks like you were in
the ~ldm/bin directory.  If this is true, then you were in the wrong place
to make the runtime link.

> [wxmanldm@godelsrevenge bin]$ ls
> afos    feedme    hrs        ldmadmin  ldmping   newlog    pqact    pqcreate
> pqinsert  pqsurf  rpc.ldmd  scour
> ddplus  feedtest  hupsyslog  ldmcheck  ldmsend   notifyme  pqcat    pqexpire
> pqmon     pqutil  rtstats   scriptconfig
> dds     hds       ids        ldmfail   netcheck  pps       pqcheck  pqing
> pqsend    regex   runtime   syscheck

Yup, this shows that you are in a 'bin' directory somewhere.  This is not where
the
runtime link should be.  Given this, please remove the runtime link you just
made.

Next, do the following:

<login as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm                         <- go to the HOME directory of user 'ldm'
rm runtime                      <- remove the runtime link that is there (if it
is there)
rm -rf bin include lib man src  <- your original directory listing showed that
you
                                   had these directories under ~ldm, not in a
runtime link
ln -s ldm-6.6.3 runtime         <- the runtime link has to be in the HOME
directory
ln -s runtime/* .               <- this assumes that the bin, include, lib,
                                   man, and src directories exist under
~ldm/ldm-6.6.3

mkdir decoders util             <- useful directories to have; this is pretty
standard

-- edit your shell configuration file (e.g., .cshrc for C shell, .bash_profile
for Bash, etc.) and make sure that the ~ldm/bin, ~ldm/decoders, and ~ldm/util
directories are included in the PATH definition

> [wxmanldm@godelsrevenge bin]$ df -k data
> df: `data': No such file or directory

Please do the following _after_ performing the steps above:

<still as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
df -k

Send us the results.

> [wxmanldm@godelsrevenge bin]$ ldmadmin mkqueue -f
> pqcreate: create "/usr/local/ldm/data/ldm.pq" failed: No such file or
> directory
> Apr 30 03:38:31 UTC godelsrevenge.induswx.com : make_pq: mkqueue failed
> [wxmanldm@godelsrevenge bin]$ cd ~/
> [wxmanldm@godelsrevenge ~]$ ls
> bin  Desktop  etc  include  ldm-6.6.3  lib  man  runtime  src

This reiterates that you were in the wrong place when you made the runtime link
you reported at the beginning of this email.

> [wxmanldm@godelsrevenge ~]$ cd ~/bin

The 'bin' directory containing LDM executables should be accessible through a
runtime link in the HOME directory of 'ldm'.

I believe that once you have the runtime link structure setup correctly, you
will be good to go _unless_ the ~ldm/data directory is incorrect, and _unless_
you need to rebuild the LDM distribution.

Question:

It appears that when the operating system was upgraded from FC5 to FC6, you
removed the home directory for 'ldm' and then restored a backup that was made
before all of the exchange we had about how to setup ingestion and decoding
of MADIS data.  Is this the situation?

Ticket ID: KQV-820647
Department: Support LDM