[LDM #PFX-311376]: LDM - Difficulties re: initial startup; delqueue, mkqueue missing

Hi Mike,

re:
> Institution: Champlin Park High School
> Package Version: 6.5.0
> Operating System: Linux 2.16.xxx; Fedora Core 5
> Hardware Information: network behind router doing IP forwarding; dual
> processor Linux boxes running Opteron 248s
>
> Inquiry: Hi, guys;
>
> I feel a little stoopid, but this here sof'ware's gonna' drive me
> nuts...  I ran 6.4.6 until 6.5.0 came out on Friday, removed the
> previous version, and tried reinstalling from scratch.  Bad idea.

The best/easiest way to do an upgrade is to simply download the new version
into the $HOME directory of the user running your LDM; unpack the new
distribution;
etc.  There is no need to remove the previous version until you have the new
version built and configured.  The final step in cutting over from a previous
version to a new on is to change the runtime link in the $HOME directory
of the user running your LDM to point to the new installation.

Here is a quick step-by-step listing of the recommended way to upgrade:

<login as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
ldmadmin stop

ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> address@hidden
  cd pub/ldm
  binary
  get ldm-6.5.0.tar.Z
  quit

tar xvzf ldm-6.5.0.tar.Z
cd ldm-6.5.0/src
./configure
make
make install
sudo make install_setuids

cd ~ldm
rm runtime
ln -s ldm-6.5.0 runtime

> Because my system cannot find delqueue and mkqueue it seem clear I have
> hosed the structure.

'delqueue' and 'mkqueue' are actions of the LDM utility 'ldmadmin'; they
are not separate applications.  For example:

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin delqueue
ldmadmin mkqueue

> However, I cannot see how it should be structured
> after reading everything I can find.

The instructions for Installing, Configuring, and Activating the LDM System
can be found in:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-6.5.0/basics/index.html#installation

> It's now:
>
> /usr/local/ldm/ldm-6.5.0 and then /bin /data /etc /logs /man and /src under
> that.

OK, just to make sure...:

- the $HOME directory of your LDM user is /usr/local/ldm

- you have the directories:

  /usr/local/ldm/bin
  /usr/local/ldm/data
  /usr/local/ldm/etc
  /usr/local/ldm/logs
  /usr/local/ldm/man
  /usr/local/ldm/src

Questions/comments:

1) is the /usr/local/ldm/bin directory a link to /usr/local/ldm/runtime/bin?
   It should be.

2) the /usr/local/ldm/etc directory should NOT be a link

3) is the /usr/local/ldm/bin directory in the PATH defined for your 'ldm'
   user?  It should be.

> Like the childhood question, "Where's Waldo?" I can't find delqueue,
> mkqueue, or the other programs.

All LDM 6.5.0 applications get installed in the ~ldm/ldm-6.5.0/bin directory.
Changing the runtime link to point at the ldm-6.5.0 directory will make
the applications available as long as you have /usr/local/ldm/bin in
your LDM user's PATH.

Just in case your previous LDM installation did not include the creation
of a runtime link as referred to above, here is a step-by-step for
a new LDM installation:

<login as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm

ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> address@hidden
  cd pub/ldm
  binary
  get ldm-6.5.0.tar.Z
  quit

tar xvzf ldm-6.5.0.tar.Z
cd ldm-6.5.0/src
./configure
make
make install
sudo make install_setuids

cd ~ldm
ln -s ldm-6.5.0 runtime
ln -s runtime/* .

mkdir data
 -- OR --
ln -s /directory_where_you_want_data_written data

mkdir data/logs
ln -s data/logs logs

> Wha' happen'?

I suspect that your previous LDM installation did not contain the
runtime link that makes doing an upgrade easy (should take no more
than 10 minutes).  Please let us know if this is the case.

Ticket ID: PFX-311376
Department: Support LDM