[LDM #RMC-119248]: determining proper ldm product queue

Gail,

> We will be upgrading our LDM version from 5.0.6 to 6.4.5 very soon - in the
> next day or so. We are having problems with the product queue getting filled
> up very quickly. Is there a utility to help us create the optimal queue -
> other than letting it run for a while and using pqmon - which will be
> available to us in the new version?

I'm afraid that there's no utility that can size the product-queue for you.
Because data-product reception is highly variable (both throughout the day and
in the requests that each site makes) the decision on the product-queue
parameters (size, number of slots) requires a human in the loop.

I like to use the pqmon(1) utility to sample the age of the oldest data-product
in the queue as well as the number of slots in-use and then plot those
parameters as a time series so I can get a good idea of what their values
should be.  Because the default action of the LDM is to request data from one
hour ago (when starting with an empty queue) I recommend that the age of the
oldest product in the queue always be greater than one hour.

The attached script is useful for getting product-queue parameters.  It can be
run by a crontab(1) entry like

    0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * util/snapshot >>data/time-series.txt

The age of the oldest product in the queue can then be plotted by the
gnuplot(1) utility via the attached script.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: RMC-119248
Department: Support LDM