[LDM #CTA-405594]: upgrading ldm and problem with queue

Gail,

> We're currently running ldm 5.0.6 on Solaris 9 - and are experiencing
> problems with our product queue filling up at an advanced rate. We've never
> experienced this before. We've been running this version for many years.

Version 5.0.6 of the LDM is quite old.  If your product-queue is filling-up
rapidly, then that's  likely due to reception of more data (since the
introduction of LDM 6, there's been a steady increase in the amount of data
flowing on the IDD).  It's likely that an LDM 5 will have problems keeping up
with the flow.

> We've just increased the queue size to 140 MB.  It looks like we're in
> desperate need to upgrade to the newest version.

Upgrading your LDM would be my stongest suggestion.

> I looked in the support archives - and didn't find any specific step on
> upgrading. I would like to know what steps are needed to upgrade from 5.0.6
> to 6.4.5

Upgrading is pretty simple (we have it down to less than three minutes :-).  Go
to the LDM home page <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/>, click on the
latest version, then click on the "LDM Basics" link, and then follow the
instructions under "Installing, Configuring, and Activating the LDM System".

Assuming you have a standard installation, then the steps should be something
like this

    $ cd
    $ zcat ldm-6.4.5.tar.Z | tar -xf -
    $ rm ldm-6.4.5.tar.Z
    $ cd ldm-6.4.5/src
    $ ./configure >configure.log 2>&1 &&
    make >make.log 2>&1 &&
    make install >install.log 2>&1 &&
    echo OK
    OK
    $ sudo make install_setuids
    $ cd
    $ vi etc/ldmadmin-pl.conf
    $ ldmadmin stop && rm runtime && ln -s ldm-6.4.5 runtime && ldmadmin start
    $ less logs/ldmd.log

If you want, we can do the upgrade for you.

> Gail
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Gail L. Monds
> Hydraulic Engineer
> U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Detroit District
> Great Lakes Hydraulics and Hydrology Office
> Watershed Hydrology Branch
> Phone: (313) 226-5413
> Fax: (313) 226-2398

Regards,