[LDM #VDS-923265]: LDM upgrade

Hi Eric,

re:
> -bash-3.1$ ./ldmadmin delqueue
> -bash-3.1$ ./ldmadmin mkqueue
> Jun 28 19:37:02 UTC localhost.localdomain : make_pq: mkqueue failed

Ah Ha!  This explains why the LDM won't start.

> However, when I do it manually:
>
> -bash-3.1$ ./pqcreate -v -f -s 400000 -q /usr/local/ldm/data/ldm.pq
> Creating /usr/local/ldm/data/ldm.pq, 400000 bytes, 97 products.

Hmm...  You telling pqcreate to create a 400KB (NOT MB) queue.  I am
surpised that this would work at all.

re: what size queue are you trying to create
> 400MB, which should be enough

Are you sure you are actually trying to create a 400 MB queue?  Please
check the ~ldm/etc/ldmadmin-pl.conf file to verify that this is the
case.

I never did ask you what version of the LDM you are trying to run. Please
let me know.

re: the output from commands

> -bash-3.1$ cd ~ldm
> -bash-3.1$ id ldm
> uid=500(ldm) gid=500(ldm) groups=500(ldm)
> -bash-3.1$ ls -alt data
> total 32
> drwxr-xr-x 2 ldm ldm   4096 Jun 28 14:37 .
> -rw-r--r-- 1 ldm ldm 413696 Jun 28 14:37 ldm.pq
> drwxr-xr-x 6 ldm rpm   4096 Jun 28 14:37 ..

Notice that the LDM queue size is 400KB, not 400MB.

> -bash-3.1$ ls -alt data/ldm.pq
> -rw-r--r-- 1 ldm ldm 413696 Jun 28 14:37 data/ldm.pq

> -bash-3.1$ ldm-6.4.5/bin/pqcat -l- -s -q data/ldm.pq
> Jun 28 19:39:18 pqcat NOTE: Starting Up (1764)
> Jun 28 19:39:18 pqcat NOTE: pqcat queueSanityCheck: Number of products
> tallied consistent with value in queue
> Jun 28 19:39:18 pqcat NOTE: Exiting
> Jun 28 19:39:18 pqcat NOTE: Number of products 0

Your LDM queue is too small.  There is a minimum size that a queue can be,
and it is apparently greater than 400 KB.

> -bash-3.1$ df -h
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
> 35G  3.7G   30G  12% /
> /dev/hda1              99M  9.7M   84M  11% /boot
> tmpfs                 249M     0  249M   0% /dev/shm

Looks good.

re: Are you specifying any flags to 'configure' when you run it?  Are you
running 'make distclean' between compilation attempts?

> No, nothing at all.  I am following the instructions in the LDM docs.

I assume your 'nothing at all' comment is in reference to flags to configure.
If you are not specifying any flags, the configure process will setup to
build a queue up to 4 GB in size.  The minimum size of a queue when the
routines are built in 'large file mode' is _much_ larger than 400 KB.

> Hopefully this nails it!

I'm pretty sure that we have zeroed in on where the problem is likely to
be: the size of the queue specified is too small.  Now the question is
which LDM version you are trying to install?  If you are installing a
current LDM release (e.g., LDM-6.4.x), then you will have a configuration
file in the ~ldm/etc directory in which the size of the queue to be created
is defined.  This line should look like:

$pq_size = "400M";

If your entry looks like this, then try modifying it to something larger:

$pq_size = "600M";

After making the change (if you make the change), try deleting and remaking
the queue:

ldmadmin delqueue
ldmadmin mkqueue

If this fails (it shouldn't, I have run LDM-6.4.x on my home FC5 32-bit system
with a 500 MB queue), I would recommend rebuilding your LDM installation
from scratch specifiying to 'configure' that you do not want large file (queue)
support:

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm/ldm-x.x.x./src               <- fill in the appropriate version number
make distclean
./configure --disable-max-size
make
make install