[LDM #UGB-524529]: No LDM server running?

Andrew,

> Sorry I didn't think to do it verbosely, here it is:
>
> # Log all kernel messages to the console.
> # Logging much else clutters up the screen.
> #kern.*                                  /dev/console
>
> # Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
> # Don't log private authentication messages!
> *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none       /var/log/messages
>
> # The authpriv file has restricted access.
> authpriv.*                               /var/log/secure
>
> # Log all the mail messages in one place.
> mail.*                                  -/var/log/maillog
>

> # Log cron stuff
> cron.*                                  /var/log/cron
>
> # Everybody gets emergency messages
> *.emerg                                  *
>
> # Save news errors of level crit and higher in a special file.
> uucp,news.crit                                 /var/log/spooler
>
> # Save boot messages also to boot.log
> local7.*                                 /var/log/boot.log

I don't know what verbosity has to do with whether or not the
/etc/syslog.conf file exists.

Be that as it may, your file /etc/syslog.conf is misconfigured: it
needs the following entries:

*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;local0.none       /var/log/messages

local0.*
             /home/ldm/logs/ldmd.log

The first entry is a modification of an existing entry.  The second
entry is new.

After adding the entries, verify that the program
/home/ldm/bin/hupsyslog is owned by root and set-uid.  Also,
verify that the syslog(8) daemon is running via the command

    ps -ef | grep syslog

Then, try starting your LDM.  You should get log messages.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: UGB-524529
Department: Support LDM