Re: LDM problems.

Mark,

>Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:38:03 -0500
>From: "Mark Haney" <address@hidden>
>To: "Steve Emmerson" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: LDM problems.

> Hi Steve, okay I tested my end and the RPC failure on my side to the
> upstream was a non-issue, that system wasn't allowed to connect to that
> IP, hence that problem.  However, here are the rpcinfo logs I get from
> my downstream to the LDM server he's having the most trouble with.
>
> [ldm@ldm10 sbin]$ ./rpcinfo -n 388 -t 152.53.28.22 300029
> rpcinfo: RPC: Timed out
> program 300029 version 4 is not available
> program 300029 version 5 ready and waiting
> program 300029 version 6 ready and waiting
> [ldm@ldm10 sbin]$ ./rpcinfo -n 388 -t 152.53.28.22 300029
> rpcinfo: RPC: Timed out
> program 300029 version 4 is not available
> program 300029 version 5 ready and waiting
> program 300029 version 6 ready and waiting
>
> I'm not sure what this really means in terms of LDM, but it looks to me
> like for our purposes everything is okay since we are using v6.

The above is confusing because it has a "Timed out" message
(indicating a problem) and yet also obtains the correct information.

It could be that one can connect to the LDM on host 152.53.28.22 but
that the connection is very poor -- leading to bad performance and
broken connections.  Do you have a network administrator who can
investigate the link between the two computers?  If not, then you might
try using traceroute(1) and iperf(1) to determine the capabilities of
the link.

In any case, I don't believe the problem lies with the LDM, per se,
but rather with the network.

If the link has good bandwidth, then one possible explanation is a
firewall between the two computers that's dropping packets -- either
deliberately or accidentally.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson