[LDM #GAH-289852]: LDM logging name tags

> I agree with your comment about the length of the log entries.  Your
> solution would be okay.

Which solution?  Changing the hostname or using the external command?

The external command does have the disadvantage that it requires that the
"Starting Up" message exist in one of the log files -- which it mightn't if the
LDM has been operating for a long time due to log file rotation.

>  Another option would be to allow the user to
> specify an optional  "logging machine name" in the ldmd.conf file:
>
> request feedname pattern hostname [logname]

I don't know.  That strikes me as a bit of a kludge.

Also, it does nothing for upstream LDM processes (which have the same
"problem").

> I have not looked to see how hard this would be to implement.

It would take significantly more coding than simply changing the hostname to a
fully-qualified one (which is an easy modification).

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: GAH-289852
Department: Support LDM