20051104: Problem with TCP service 300029 and RPC on iceberg?

>From: Matthew Lazzara <address@hidden>

Hi Matthew and Jesse,

re:
>In installing new LDM software on iceberg.ssec.wisc.edu, I have
>noticed the following error message in the LDM logs upon start up:
>
>"WARN: Can't register TCP service 300029 on port 388
>  WARN: Downstream LDMs won't be able to connect via the RPC
>portmapper daemon
>(rpcbind(s8, portmap(8), etc.)"

Sounds like you did not run 'make install_setuids' as 'root' as
the final step of your LDM installation:

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
tar xvzf ldm-6.4.2.tar.Z
cd ldm-6.4.2/src
./configure
make
make install
sudo make install_setuids

If you do the last step, rpc.ldmd will be able to use port 388.
Without it, the portmapper will be needed.  We strongly suggest running
'make install_setuids' as we are not big fans of portmap.  Rest assured
that the amount of time that the LDM (rpc.ldmd) spends as 'root' is
extemely short: just long enough to get port 388.  After that, it runs
as 'ldm'.

>I do not get this on ice.ssec.wisc.edu - both computers are the same
>Linux systems, roughly same hardware, and have the same versions of
>LDM on them.  Is there a configuration issue with RPC and TCP?

Did you run 'make install_setuids' as 'root'?

>I've CC'ed Unidata support to see if this really is a big problem or
>not - it may not be.

Not a big problem.

>From address@hidden  Fri Nov  4 11:06:21 2005

>Jesse,

>Thank you!  Is this all setup correctly on ice.ssec.wisc.edu?  Just
>making sure...

>Restarting came without these errors...

>Thank you!!!

>Matthew

>>On Nov 4, 2005, at 12:03 PM, Jesse Stroik via RT wrote:

>> Matthew,
>>
>> I started portmapper and configured to start it on boot.  Give it a
>> try now.
>>
>> Jesse

>From address@hidden  Fri Nov  4 11:25:27 2005

Tom,

But I did run the make install setuids! (Been down this road before...)

After our admins got the portmapper running and I restarted, things
appear to be fine...hmmmm.  I'll reverify that I did run the setiuds
- but I'm really sure I did...

Thank you Tom!!

Matthew