Re: 20051005: host aliasing and LDM best practices (fwd)

Michael,

> >To: address@hidden
> >From: Michael McEniry <address@hidden>
> >Subject: host aliasing and LDM best practices
>
> If we want to "publish" a host alias for our LDM node (both
> upstream and downstream) instead of the host's canonical name,
> what are best practices covering this?

As far as I know, Unidata has not made suggestions on this issue.
Best practice would be no different than you do for www/ftp or any
other network service you currently make available.

> Specifically, we have a computer, thor.itsc.uah.edu, that will be
> our primary LDM node. We want to tell our feed partners to use
> "ldm1.itsc.uah.edu" in their allow and request lines. Eventually,
> we'd like to also have "ldm2" for redundancy and load balancing.
> What are the advantages or disadvantages of using a CNAME record
> (ldm1 -> thor) vs a second A record (ldm1 -> thor's IP address).

You'll find the CNAME vs A record to be a religious issue with many.
I myself prefer to use A records exclusively and don't use CNAME's
at all.  Most of our machines are on the same subnet, so we bring
up virtual inferfaces and move IP's around that way instead of
being concerned about DNS TTL and caching issues.

> By the way, I tried the UCAR ultraseek search
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/ultraseek.html>, but it
> seems to be broken.

This should be fixed now.

mike