20050718: New LDM installation

>From: Nancy Selover <address@hidden>

Hi Nancy,

>I have installed LDM 6.3.0 on a new server with Linux Fedora
>Core 3, and I can't get it to run.  We have all the symbolic links set,
>including the last one where runtime links to ldm-6.3.0, but it does not
>recognize the "ldmadmin" command.  The bin is linked to runtime/bin, but
>I can't cd to the bin directory.

This says that there is something wrong with your links.  The way I would
check this is as follows:

log on as 'ldm'
cd ~ldm
ls -alt runtime

This should look something like:

lrwxrwxr-x  1 ldm  ustaff  9 Feb  1 22:25 runtime -> ldm-6.3.0

Next, try to CD to the 6.3 bin directory through the runtime link:

cd runtime/bin

Does this work (i.e., do you see the LDM 6.3.0 executables)?

If yes, then I suspect that there is an error in your other runtime
links.  They should look like:

runtime -> ldm-6.3.0
lib -> runtime/lib
include -> runtime/include
src -> runtime/src
man -> runtime/man
bin -> runtime/bin

Also, what is your PATH setting for 'ldm'?  Perhaps you did not modify
PATH in your shell-specific configuration file (e.g., .bash_profile for
bash, .cshrc for the C shell, etc.) to include the ~ldm/bin directory?

If you still can not find an incorrect link, please send us the
output of the following:

cd ~ldm
ls -alt

>Where is the "ldmadmin.conf" file supposed to be?

The ldmadmin configuration file is ~ldm/etc/ldmadmin-pl.conf.

>I have a "ldmadmin-pl.conf" file, in the /etc directory,

Very good.  This is the file to use to configure things like the LDM
queue size, etc.

>but no "ldmadmin.conf" file which defines the size of the
>queue and the hostname, and so on.

Use ~ldm/etc/ldmadmin-pl.conf.

>The set-up looks similar to the old set-up in mothra, but is not the
>same and the links don't seem to work the same way.

The links have not changed for a very long time.  The configuration in
newer versions of the LDM have, however.

>Is there something
>special about Linux - or are we using the wrong shells ??

No to both.  We run the LDM on many Fedora Core 3 machines under three
different shells: bash, csh, and tcsh.  The runtime link setup is
not a function of shell used.

>Thanks,

No worries.

Cheers,