Re: Getting LDM on plane to receive via UCAR RAS and PPP

Janet,

I did the following:

    1.  Commented-out the "exec pqbinstats" entry in the LDM
        configuration-file, $HOME/etc/ldmd.conf, because it uses a lot
        of the CPU for no good purpose.

    2.  Commented-out the "exec pqact" entry in the LDM
        configuration-file, $HOME/etc/ldmd.conf, because you don't seem
        to be doing anything with the data (the pqact(1)
        configuration-file, $HOME/etc/pqact.conf, appears to be the
        example one that comes with the distribution).

    3.  Added a crontab(1) entry to rotate the LDM logfile at midnight,
        local time, every day.

    4.  Added the entry

            allow   ANY     ^[a-z].*\.atd\.ucar\.edu$

        to the LDM configuration-file, $HOME/etc/ldmd.conf.  This might
        be too general for you and you might want to restrict it to, for
        example

            allow   ANY     ^linus\.atd\.ucar\.edu$

        An ALLOW entry like this has never been necessary -- that I can
        recall.  I don't know why your situation is different.

    5.  Restarted the LDM.  The command

            ldmping

        now works, as do the various rpcinfo(1) commands such as

            rpcinfo -t linus 300029 6

You should

    As the superuser (i.e., root):

        1.  Change the ownership of the hupsyslog(1) utility,
            $HOME/bin/hupsyslog, to "root" and then enable the setuid
            bit.  This will enable proper rotation of the LDM logfiles.

        2.  Add the line

                search atd.ucar.edu

            to the top of the file /etc/resolv.conf.  It used to have
            this.  Why was it removed?)

    As the LDM user on another system, try to ldmping(1) the LDM on
    Linus (I couldn't log onto Cirque).

Regards,
Steve Emmerson