20050615: problems creating the product queue for the LDM

Ryan,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Ryan Lyman <address@hidden>
> Subject: creating the product queue for the LDM

> I've sort of inherited ldm administration job for the university of
> hawaii meteorology department (vapor.soest.hawaii.edu) and i was having
> problems creating the pqact.  i have a feeling the problem is related to
> the hardware, as the computer is probably close to a decade old, but i
> wanted to run it through you guys (they are running an older version of
> the LDM (6.0.13), and i know i should upgrade it, but i am pushing a
> computer upgrade first, which should take place in a couple of months.)
>
> at any rate, it appears the pqact was contaminated so i deleted using
> the 'ldmadmin delqueue' command and tried to rebuild it using 'ldmadmin
> mkqueue'.  it takes an absurdly long time to do the latter

If you KNOW, a priori, that sufficient space exists for the
product-queue, then you can speed things up considerably by using the
"-f" (fast) option, i.e.,

    ldmadmin mkqueue -f

> then i get the following error message:
>
> Jun 14 20:59:12 pqcreate[5414]: mmap: 0 0 508051456: Resource
> temporarily unavailable
> pqcreate: create "/home/vapor/ldm/idd/data/ldm.pq" failed: Resource
> temporarily unavailable
> Jun 14 20:59:13 UTC vapor.soest.hawaii.edu : make_pq: mkqueue failed

The above error is likely due to one of the following:

 *      EMFILE  The number of mapped regions would exceed an
 *              implementation-dependent limit (per process or per system).

 *      ENOMEM  MAP_FIXED was specified, and the range [*ptrp, *ptrp + extent)
 *              exceeds that allowed for the address space of a process; or if
 *              MAP_FIXED was not specified and there is insufficient room in
 *              the address space to effect the mapping.

> i've done a few google searches and dug through the unidata site, with
> little results.  any clue to what the problem could be?

It appears that your operating-system doesn't have the resources
necessary to run the LDM -- as currently configured and in the current
environment.

Are there any other programs running that use mapped regions?  If so,
can they be terminated?  The ipcs(1) utility might prove useful for
discovering this.

Is the operating-system an older version of Linux?  If so, is the
swap-file large enough to hold the entire product-queue (on top of
everything else that is must contain)?  The top(1) utility might prove
useful for discovering this.

> thanks for your help.
>
> aloha,
> ryan lyman
>
> --

>   Ryan Lyman                   Mauna Kea Weather Center
>   Institute for Astronomy      Forecast Meteorologist
>   640 North A'ohoku Place      Tel: (808) 932-2323
>   Hilo, Hawaii 96720-2700      Fax: (808) 933-0737
>
>               http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/

Regards,
Steve Emmerson