20050527: LDM questions

Gary,

> To: address@hidden
> From: "Gary Skaggs" <address@hidden>
> Subject: LDM questions

> I have some neophyte quesitons for you regarding LDM stats. This relates
> to version 6.0.14.
>
> In regards to rtstats, it is my understanding that "time of ingestion of
> recently received product" is the original timestamp of the ingesting
> system.

That's correct.

> It is unclear to me what the "Time of queue insertion of received
> product" really means. Is that the time of completion on the local
> machine receiving the stream? Is it the time of completion of ingestion
> on the originating machine? Or is it something in between?

The "time of queue insertion of received product" is the time at which
the data-product was inserted into the local product-queue on the local
system.  This time is kept in the product-queue and is only available on
the local system.  This time should increase as a data-product is
distributed.

> For instance, using the current NWS Level II implementation, the data is
> ingested at the local forecast office, routed through a server at the
> Regional Headquarters offices and then on the IRaDS at OU, to Purdue and
> to ERC. If I am looking at logs for IRaDS, would the "ingest" time be
> when it was ingested at the Local FO

Yes.

> and the "insertion" time be when
> the file has been received complete at IRaDS?

Yes, if the "insertion time" that's being observed is from the IRaDS system.

> I really did look through the documentation on the Unidata website, but
> at the end of my search, I was still uncertain. Thanks for helping a
> beginner.

No problem.  It's why we're here.

Feel free to contact me if this doesn't clear things up.

> Gary Skaggs
> NSSL
>
> --------------020209080308020609040707
>
> begin:vcard
> fn:Gary Skaggs
> n:Skaggs;Gary
> org:National Severe Storms Laboratory / Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale
> Meteorological Studies;NOAA-NSSL / University of Oklahoma-CIMMS
> adr:;;1313 Halley Circle;Norman;OK;73069;U.S.A.
> email;internet:address@hidden
> title:Information Technology Transition Coordinator, RRDD/NWC
> x-mozilla-html:TRUE
> url:http://nwc.ou.edu
> version:2.1
> end:vcard