20050518: RPC and Portmapper on LDM

Hi Waldenio,

>Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 11:41:15 -0300
>From: Waldenio Almeida <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20050513: RPC and Portmapper on LDM

> Yes, you are right that the LDM is running fine.
> But these errors are annoying, because they fill
> up the ldm logfiles.

I don't understand.  An LDM server process only registers with the
portmapper once, so such warning messages should not fill up the
logfile.

> I searched about the portmapper for FreeBSD 5.3,
> looks like in FreeBSD 5.X the portmapper was replaced
> by rpcbind. It is active on my system.

That's interesting.  The rpcbind(1) process should use the well-known
portmapper port, 111.  But the LDM log messages indicate that the LDM
couldn't register with a process using that port.

What is the output from the following command:

    rpcinfo -p

It should indicate that a portmapper (of some type) is running on port
111, e.g.,

    $ rpcinfo -p
       program vers proto   port  service
        100000    4   tcp    111  rpcbind
        100000    3   tcp    111  rpcbind
        100000    2   tcp    111  rpcbind
        100000    4   udp    111  rpcbind
        100000    3   udp    111  rpcbind
        100000    2   udp    111  rpcbind
        100021    1   udp   4045  nlockmgr
        100021    2   udp   4045  nlockmgr
        100021    3   udp   4045  nlockmgr
        100021    4   udp   4045  nlockmgr
        100021    1   tcp   4045  nlockmgr
        100021    2   tcp   4045  nlockmgr
        100021    3   tcp   4045  nlockmgr
        100021    4   tcp   4045  nlockmgr
        100024    1   udp  32772  status
        100024    1   tcp  32771  status
        100133    1   udp  32772
        100133    1   tcp  32771
    1289637086    5   tcp  32781
    1289637086    1   tcp  32781

> Are the LDM's programs searching for the "portmapper"
> string ?

No.  The LDM server doesn't care what the portmapper process is called.
Only that it uses port 111 and works correctly.

> Another question: is better send these discussions
> to the forum on Gforce site ? - This site is becaming
> very interesting...

Your choice.  :-)