20050506: Data ingest question

>From: Gerry Creager n5jxs <address@hidden>

Hi Gerry,

>Is there a how-to for data ingest and placement into the LDM IDD?

Unfortunately, no.  The process is easy, however:

- use pqinsert to insert products into the local LDM queue in a particular
  IDD datastream (typically EXP)

The 'challange' is to create a product header (metadata) that the
downstream user can use to select what they receive (in an ldmd.conf
request entry) and process (in a pqaqct.conf entry).  The default
header/metadata is the name of the file, but that is usually not
sufficiently descriptive to allow downstreams to request/process
products selectively.  I create the UNIWISC datastream products in just
this way AND name them with the byte sequence that ends up being their
metadata, so the process is straigtforward.  I recommend that you first
try a simple product header and familiarize yourself with the process
and then reflect on what meta data would be useful for individualized
pqact.conf entries.

>I've
>started generating MM5 data and we're using it on a small LDM network
>isolated within the SCOOP project.  We're also moving ADCIRC, ElCIRC and
>other data around.

OK, sounds good.

>I've been looking for the recipe for adding data via files created on
>the system.  Is there a simple way to do this, or do I need to keep looking?

The process is so simple that we have never felt the need of creating
a HOWTO to do it.  Please take a look at the man page for pqinsert
to get going.

>Thanks, Gerry

No worries.

Cheers,

Tom (from Valladolid, Spain!)

>From address@hidden  Sun May  8 15:58:09 2005

Thanks!  And, you're right.  For some reason, I was blind to pqinsert.

Once I was pointed that way (Thanks to Steve Emmerson!) I'm well down
the path.

gerry