20050504: LDM: PIPE-ing to scripts

Scott,

>Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 08:57:32 -0800
>From: "Scott Swank" <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20050504: LDM: PIPE-ing to scripts

> I setup the pqact.conf with the following:
> EXP     ^(METAR.*)
>          PIPE    -close  /apps/datatools/runDecoder.ksh /data/raw/\1

The separators in the above are not tabs.  I hope they are in the
configuration-file.

> According to example, it should have written the products, but the files
> are not there.  $1 contains the filename, but where did the data end up?

The above will try to execute the "runDecoder.ksh" script and pipe the
data-product to it, but whether or not an output file is created depends
on the actions of "runDecoder.ksh".  Can you send it to me?

Also, check the log messages from pqact(1) to see if anything untoward
happened.

You might try temporarily replacing the "runDecoder.ksh" script with the
simple cat(1)-based script in my previous email -- just to verify that
LDM system does, indeed, work as stated.

> If FILE would be a better option, how does the filename then end up
> getting passed to the decoding script so I can process the data?

The FILE action is only for filing the data-product: no "decoding" is
done.  One could follow a "FILE -overwrite -close" action with an EXEC
action that would decode the just-filed data-product, but that would
merely be a convoluted way of simulating the PIPE action, which is more
efficient.

> Thanks,
> Scott

Regards,