20050408: LDM - Partitioning for LDM/GEMPAK

Darren,

> To: address@hidden
> From: "Darren Addy" <address@hidden>
> Subject: LDM - Partitioning for LDM/GEMPAK

> Institution: University of Nebraska at Kearney / I.T. Services
> Package Version: 6.3
> Operating System: Red Hat Enterprise AS v.4
> Hardware Information: 733Mhz PIII, 200G HD & 10G HD
> Inquiry: I'm intending to set up a little wxserver with LDM, GEMPAK
> and maybe Mapserver. I'm starting with a format/fresh install of Red
> Hat. My question is regarding partitions for best performance.
>
> My primary HD is a 200G. I've left the original 10G HD in to use as
> Linux /swap. Originally, I created a 10G partition for "/" and the
> remainder for /home (thinking that was where most of space would be
> used).
>
> Going through the LDM Preinstallation however, it appears that the LDM
> data and logs go in /var (/var/data/ldm).

Because the data and logfiles are very volatile, they should go into a
disk partition that is NOT backed-up.  The partition should also be on
local disk.  These are the major constraints.  If you're not backing-up
anything and all disks are local, then you can put them wherever you
like.

> I'm wondering if you have an recommendations on how to partition the
> HD for best performance, allowing the most space for the portions of
> the filesystem that will need it. (Although I'm working on LDM at the
> moment, I will be doing GEMPAK next).

I'll defer to our systems administrator regarding partitioning.

Mike?

> Also, while I am asking questions - is there a good list of how much
> bandwidth the various IDD data streams will use?

You can get a good idea of the data rates by visiting the rtstats(1)
webpage for a top-level IDD relay site.  We usually use this one:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/rtstats_summary_volume?thelma.ucar.edu

> Thanks for your assistance and in making these products and support
> available to the university community!

You're most welcome.

> Darren Addy
> University of Nebraska at Kearney