20050301: LDM - rpc.ldm & hupsyslog

>From: "Jeremy Keen" <address@hidden>

Jeremy,

>Institution: Ensco Inc
>Package Version: 6.2.1
>Operating System: Mandrakelinux 10.1
>Hardware Information: hp pavilion ze5000
>Inquiry: Why is it that my hupsyslog and rpc.ldmd files in the bin
>directory show up highlighted red when it seems that my ldm is running fine?

Linux uses an enviornment variable, LS_COLORS, to colorize 'ls' listings.
It does this by aliasing the 'ls' command; here is an example:

alias ls='ls --color=tty'

(type 'alias' while logged in as the user running your LDM)

The default colorization scheme used tries to highlight exectables that
are setuid 'root' in red; the colorization has nothing to do with how
an executable is running.  This colorization can be changed by folks
that are interested in their own colorization scheme, or it can be
turned off using:

unalias ls

Check relevant man pages on your system for more information.

Tom Yoksas