20040930: Installing LDM for local workstation (Vietnam)

>From: Mai Nguyen <address@hidden>

Hi Nguyen,

>I have another issue that needs your help.
>Now, we have another machine using GEMPAK/NAWIPS. We
>currently use NFS to mount to "met_research3", which
>is the one getting feed from UNIDATA. We concern that
>this kind of mounting might not stable for operational
>use (in case of bad local connection of our LAN,etc.)
>
>So my questions are:
>1) Is NFS mounting enough?

It should be enough if the network connection between the
two machines is consistently good.

>2) (If No) Do we need to install LDM for our local
>machine to get data from met_research3 (which is the
>one to get the datafeed from UNIDATA)?

If the network connection is not good enough for NFS, it
probably won't be good enough for using the LDM either.
That being said, having a second machine doing the ingest
and decoding could be useful if your other machine,
met_research3, has system or hardware problems.  In
a situation like that, you would only have to change your
~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf request line(s) from met_research3 to
the upstream that met_research3 is feeding from.  You
would have to make sure, of course, that the upstream
feeding met_research3 has allowed your other machine to
feed also.

Since met_research3 has been feeding from a machine we
maintain here at Unidata, emo.unidata.ucar.edu, setting
up the allow for the other machine will be easy.

However,  I have been meaning to get in touch with you
about switching who met_research3 is feeding from.  The
reason for my wanting to switch the setup there is that
we consider emo.unidata.ucar.edu a test machine.  Because
of this, we do not make "heroic" efforts to get it back
up if it crashes.

So, if you would not mind, I would like to logon to
met_research3 and change the machine(s) it is feeding
from.  I would do this after I have taken a look at
the routing from various spots in the US to Hanoi.  It
could well be the case that met_research3 feeding from
a different machine in the Unidata community would be
more reliable and provide faster delivery of data.
Please let me know if you have any objections to me logging
on and making the change.

>3) (If Yes in 2). How the procedure of installing LDM
>differs from the one that we've done for
>met_research3?

No, the procedure is exactly the same.  I would advise
you to copy over the ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf file from
met_research3 (after I make the feed host change)
and duplicate the request lines setting the active
ones to point at met_research3, and the commented out
ones to point at the same upstream(s) as met_research3.

>Thank you very much and hope to hear from you soon!

I am glad you got in touch with us, since I needed to
work with you to get your upstream feed host changed.