Re: LDM 6.1.0 released: no "ldmadmin ps"

Hi Celia,

>Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:30:23 -0600
>From: Celia Chen <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: LDM 6.1.0 released

> I have just started to upgrade the LDM on RAP's ldm hosts to 6.1.0
> and noticed that the "ldmadmin ps" doesn't exist anymore.  Is there a
> reason for removing that command option?  I used it quite a lot in the
> past.

The problem is that the many versions of the ps(1) utility -- each
taking different options and/or formatting their output differently --
make it too expensive (in terms of my time) to keep the "ldmadmin ps"
command working correctly.  Not only do different systems have different
ps(1) utilities, but different ps(1)-s can exist on the same system.

It was just too much effort for too meager a return.

You can always use your version of the ps(1) utility directly.  For
example, the following works for some (but by no means all) LDM
installations:

    ps -f -g `cat $HOME/ldmd.pid`

You could even create an alias for this command.

Be advised that version 6.1.0 has a known bug: the value of the
$surf_size variable in the ldmadmin(1) script should NOT have a suffix
(e.g., use "2000000" instead of "2M").  If you don't use the pqsurf(1)
utility, then you may safely ignore this bug.

> Thanks.
>
> Celia

Regards,
Steve Emmerson