20040916: LDM User Password

>From: "Huffines, Gary" <address@hidden>

Hi Gary,

>I am at the point in preparing our Linux computer for the LDM software
>of setting up the LDM account.  Is there a specific password I should
>use or should it not be a password protected account?

The account in which the LDM gets installed is typically named 'ldm',
and each site _must_ have its own unique password.

Since your question leads me to think that you are not very familiar
with Unix/Linux (please forgive me if I am wrong), I strongly suggest
that you consult with system admin experts at UNC to get your machine
protected from the rats nest of hackers out there.  This is such an
important step that we _never_ connect a Unix/Linux machine to the
network until after we have setup a tightly controlled firewall.

If you do not have Linux expertise at UNC that you can draw on, we
can advise you on what you need to do to make your setup secure.

Again, if you are unfamiliar with Unix/Linux, please do not put your
machine on the net until it is secured!  This will save you lots of
grief down the road.

>Thanks!

No worries.

>Gary Huffines, PhD