20040827: LDM - receiving FSL5 data with LDM

>From: "Jeremy Keen" <address@hidden>

Jeremy,

>Institution: Ensco Inc
>Package Version: 6.0.14 and 6.1.0
>Operating System: Redhat8.0
>Hardware Information: IBM dual processer
>Inquiry: We are receiving FSL5 data from AWIS with LDM and trying to put it in
> to AWIPS.  Awips is having trouble decoding a few of the packets.  I contacte
> d FSL and they said the satellite data is compressed and the metar data, AWIP
> S can't fined the 22 byte header.  I was wondering if your decoders would hel
> p with this problem and if so how do I use them?

The surface data relayed through the IDD has had the CCB (the 22 byte)
header stripped off to make it look like the old FOS data.  This is the
problem you are seeing with the METAR data.

The ldm-mcidas packageÇ

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/mcidd

has a decoder, zlibg2gini, that can be used to uncompress the imagery
data.  Please check out the ldm-mcidas web pages for more information.

>Thank you,

No worries.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas