20040705: simultaneous newlog

>From: Neil Smith <address@hidden>

Hi Neil,

>Evidently your not supposed to schedule newlog for your logfiles
>specified in the pqact.conf at the same time in the crontab file, right?

Correct, you should not run simultaneous invocations of 'ldmadmin newlog'.
You can, however, run newlog directly.

>Otherwise, why would I get
>   make_lockfile: another ldmadmin process exists

Yup.

>My crontab lines look like:
>
>0 0 * * * bin/ldmadmin newlog
>0 0 * * * bin/ldmadmin newlog 2 dcffg.log
>0 0 * * * bin/ldmadmin newlog 2 dcgrib2.log
>0 0 * * * bin/ldmadmin newlog 2 dcgribngm.log
>
>Is that a no-no?

If you want to run the log rotations at the same time, use newlog
directly:

0 0 * * * bin/ldmadmin newlog
0 0 * * * bin/newlog dcffg.log 2
0 0 * * * bin/newlog dcgrib2.log 2
0 0 * * * bin/newlog dcgribngm.log 2

>Should I just separate them by a minute or so?

You could do that if you choose to run the newlog action from ldmadin.

>Or is this not the way to rotate log files other than ldmd.log?

It is OK to use the newlog action of ldmadmin if, as you found out,
the invocations don't run simultaneously.

>[ldm-6.0.14 on FreeBSD 4.7 Release]
>
>Thanks,

No worries.

>From address@hidden  Mon Jul  5 10:14:52 2004

Thanks Tom.
That did the trick; although I found I had to be more explicit with
the path to the log file since there's no environment variable for
the log file location available to this cron implementation of newlog.
-Neil

--
Neil R. Smith                           address@hidden
Comp.Sys.Mngr.                  (979)845-6272