20040630: potential LDM/pqact problem on OSF/1

Tom,

After perusing the pqact(1) code, I've concluded that a PIPE-ed
data-product could be smaller than a FILE-d data-product if the computer
were heavily loaded.  In order to avoid spending too much time trying
to pipe data to a slow decoder, the pqact(1) process sets a timeout
alarm.  The default timeout is 60 seconds but can be overridden by a
command-line option.  If the associated SIGALRM is received before the
data is written, then pqact(1) will abandon the attempt and log this
fact in the LDM logfile.

I'm waiting for David to tell me if the LDM logfile contained any relevant
messages.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson