20040624: LDM scour question...

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

>Quick question. I have a directory called /home/data/wsr88D. I have 100+
>subdirectories in there. Is there a line in scour.conf that I could scour
>ALL those directories daily, or preferably, hourly? Or do I have to set
>up an entry for each subdirectory?

'scour' (or run by 'ldmadmin scour') scours directory trees on a daily
basis, so running it hourly will not do what you want.  You can run it
once a day to scour all subdirectories of /home/data/wsr88D by
including that directory in your ~ldm/etc/scour.conf file:

#
# Configuration file for "scour" utility, to delete all files older than a
# specified number of days from specified directories and all their
# subdirectories.  Scour should be invoked periodically by cron(8).
#
# Each line consists of a directory, a retention time (in days), and
# (optionally) a shell filename pattern for files to be deleted.  If no
# filename pattern is specified, "*" representing all files not beginning
# with "." is assumed.

/home/ldm/wsr88D        1
     ^                  ^
     |                  |__  number of days to keep
     |_____________________  top level node of directory tree to scour

I write a Tcl-based scouring routine that can scour all subdirectories
of a specified directory with specification on how many files to keep
in each directory:

machine:   ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
user:      anonymous
pass:      address@hidden
directory: pub/ldm/scour
file:      scourBYnumber.tcl

Note that this is not a supported script, so you may have to do some
tweaking.  It is being used to do exactly the kind of thing you are
interested in at Texas A&M.  Here is the crontab entry that runs
scourBYnumber.tcl every three hours from the TAMU Fedora Core 1 Linux
machine:

00  0-23/3 * * * util/scourBYnumber.tcl /data/ldm/gempak/nexrad/craft 256

>Thanks!

No worries.