20040623: RPC port and LDM

>From: David Knight <address@hidden>

Hi David,

>     We are running the LDM 6.0.14 on both our
>IDD machines (gusher for Unidata feeds, Striker2
>for NLDN feed).

Sounds good.  We will be releasing a new version of the LDM-6 in the
not too distant future.  This version will have some subtle bugfixes
that don't seem to affect users at the moment, and a fix for statistics
reporting (both pqbinstats and rtstats) that will only affect sites
receiving all of the CRAFT feed (or, at least, > 96 CRAFT radars).
Just a heads-up...

>     I seem to remember something about the LDM
>no longer requiring access to RPC port 111.

Correct.

>I'd like to close that port at our firewall
>if possible, but, don't want to risk affecting
>our downstream sites. If I do close that port
>(actually do not specifically open it) would
>that risk some of our downstream sites not being
>able to receive data?

No.  Things will continue working correctly as long as you installed
'rpc.ldmd' and 'hupsyslog' with setuid 'root' privilege.  This is done
by the 'make install_setuids' as 'root' (or in a 'sudo').  If you did
not do this last step, then you must continue to run the portmapper.

To refresh your memory on LDM installs, the procedure is:

cd ldm-6.0.14/src
./configure
make
make install
sudo make install_setuids

>     We run both our LDMs on port 388, so, it is
>my understanding that downstream sites do not
>need to access portmapper on port 111, but,
>I want to confirm this before we block it.

You are correct.

>Thanks

No worries.