20040615: Weather3.admin.niu.edu update

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

Kevin said:
>> I'd say that there is a reasonable chance that is what was causing your
>> problems.  It is a good explanation for the SIGBUS crashes.  It *could* be
>> an explanation for your corrupt filesystem problems, though you said your
>> system logged I/O errors.  If you get any more I/O errors from you disk
>> drive, I'd replace it.
>>
>>      Kevin W. Thomas
>>      Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms
>>      University of Oklahoma
>>      Norman, Oklahoma
>>      Email:  address@hidden

>I am cc'ing this to support. Since Tom Yoksas mentioned that the LDM does
>a memory map,

Right.  The LDM queue is a memory mapped file.

>I would suppose that this would cause a corrupted disk as
>well. Tom, I didn't explain clearly, but before this happened, I was also
>getting corrupt disk errors that required a e2fsck.

I think I remember seeing this.  At the time, it made sense to think
that this was being caused by a bad disk drive.

>There were blocks that
>were duplicated, but no apparent failure of the drive.

Duplicated...  Interesting.

>This problem has
>not worsened, so I suspected something else. What say you?

I can't constructe a mental model of how your improperly seated DIMM
could cause file system corruption, but this is not unimaginable
especially given your comments about having to keep your LDM queue
small.  I say that time will tell :-)

> *
>Gilbert Sebenste                                                     ********
>(My opinions only!)                                                  ******
>Staff Meteorologist, Northern Illinois University                      ****
>E-mail: address@hidden                                               ***
>web: http://weather.admin.niu.edu                                      **
>Work phone: 815-753-5492                                                *
> *

>From address@hidden  Tue Jun 15 16:09:32 2004

Gilbert...

Memory mapping *is* the way that a lot of things work behind your back though I
don't see how this could cause a filesystem corruption problem.  If a memory
problem caused a driver to misbehave, I'd also expect frequent kernel panics.

Duplicate blocks are a symptom of a malfunctioning disk drive.

I'd consider replacing the drive if you see the hint of another problem with
it.

        Kevin W. Thomas
        University of Oklahoma
        Norman, Oklahoma
        Email:  address@hidden

>From address@hidden  Tue Jun 15 23:56:50 2004

> I'd consider replacing the drive if you see the hint of another problem with
> it.

OK, thanks. It's still under warranty. I'm watching it close!

E-mail: address@hidden                                               ***