20040614: Quick update on weather3.admin.niu.edu... (cont.)

>From:  Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Hi Gilbert,

>Weather3 is back up and running, and feeding weather2 at this time.
>
>At this point, I think I have a good idea of what is happening, as well as
>NOT knowing what is happening.

I just logged onto weather3 and noticed that you are running the
Fedora Core 1 2.4.24-2190.nptlsmp kernel:

uname -a
Linux weather3.admin.niu.edu 2.4.22-1.2190.nptlsmp #1 SMP Wed May 26 13:46:20
EDT 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

and that the modification date on the kernel files in /boot are May 26
(which is in agreement with the uname listing):

ls -alt /boot/vmlinux*.2190*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 44 Jun 10 16:20 /boot/vmlinux-2.4.22-1.2190.nptlsmp ->
../lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2190.nptlsmp/vmlinux*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 41 Jun 10 16:19 /boot/vmlinux-2.4.22-1.2190.nptl ->
../lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2190.nptl/vmlinux*

Since we are intimately involved with multiple machines (at the UPC, in
Costa Rica, and at Texas A&M) running LDM under the Fedora Core 1
2.4.22-1.2188.nptlsmp kernel, and since none of these machines are
experiencing any problems, I have to wonder if your problem is somehow
related to the *.2190.nptlsmp kernel.

For reference, I personally have setup 4 dual processor machines (three
Athlon MP based, one Xeon based) with FC1 *.2188.nptlsmp and LDM queues
of 1 GB or larger (one has a 1 GB queue, one has a 2 GB queue, and two
have 4 GB queues) and have experienced no problems.  Two of these
machines are ingesting and processing everyting available in the IDD
including _all_ NEXRAD Level II data and _all_ CONDUIT data.  If load
stress could cause buss errors, I should have seen them on these
machines, but I havn't.  If large LDM queues could cause buss errors,
I should have see problems on all of these systems.

When did you upgrade to the *.2190.nptlsmp kernel?

Tom