20040601: Request for WSR-88D Level II data (cont.)

>From: "John R. Jackson" <address@hidden>

John,

re: how did you run logger

>Actually, I ran it as me.  But I just tried it as "ldm" and it worked
>from there as well:
>
>  $ cat /var/ldm/ldmd.log
>  Jun  1 17:41:20 castor.itap.purdue.edu jrj: [ID 702911 local0.debug] test of
>  LDM logging
>  Jun  1 18:12:37 castor.itap.purdue.edu jrj: [ID 702911 local0.debug] test of
>  LDM logging as user ldm

OK. This proves that logger should work fine.

>>What is the ownership of ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log.  ...
>
>$ ls -l /var/ldm/ldmd.log
>-rw-r-----   1 root     ldm            0 May 27 21:55 /var/ldm/ldmd.log
>
>>I have seen occasions
>>where it is owned by 'root' and not writable by others.  ...
>
>But that doesn't make sense.  Syslogd is running as root and it is the
>one writing to the file.  And logger shows that it's possible to run as
>a non-root user and make entries.

You _will_ run into problems with this ownership when it comes time to
rotate the log files since the rotation is done by 'ldm'.  Please
change the ownership of ldmd.log to 'ldm' and make sure that it has
permissions 644.

>>Also, when you built the LDM, you should have done more or less the
>>following: ...
>
>Yup.  That's pretty much what I did.

OK.

>And just FYI, I'm running 6.0.15 since that was the latest one I saw on
>the ftp site.

I would recommend using 6.0.14 since it is the version that is running
at all CRAFT relay sites.

>It's just a wild guess (with absolutely nothing to back it up), but I'm
>wondering if it's because I built a 64 bit Solaris version.

The question is how you did this.  To build our large file system
versions of the LDM under Solaris 5.9, we do the following:

1) define CFLAGS before running configure:

CFLAGS=-O -xarch=v9

2) use a different version of configure, configure.sparcv9.  The
   operative difference in these two versions of configure is:

configure.sparcv9:               *)  libs="-R/usr/ucblib/sparcv9
-L/usr/ucblib/sparcv9 -lrpcsoc -lnsl"

configure                        *)  libs="-R/usr/ucblib -L/usr/ucblib -lrpcsoc
-lnsl"

   Then, instead of running:

cd ldm-6.0.14/src
./configure

   You run:

cd ldm-6.0.14/src
./configure.sparcv9

>BTW, I just found the problem that was keeping my second test server from
>running and it's now up.  A long, sad, story involving our network folks
>changing IP numbers on me, /etc/hosts not getting updated and something
>looking there instead of in DNS :-).

Been there :-O