20040420: LDM - Solaris 9 - configure problems

>From: "Alan Cunningham" <address@hidden>

Alan,

>Institution: Clemson University Radar Ornithology Lab
>Package Version: 5.2.2
>Operating System: Solaris 9
>Hardware Information: Dell OptiPlex 2 GHz, 40 GB HDD
>Inquiry: 2 questions:

>Will ldm 5.2.2 talk to a DAS that is running ldm 5.0.8, as long as they
>have the same time?

Yes.  Our current LDM releases, LDM-6.x will also talk to all versions
of LDM-5.

>I am getting a failure when running configure (preparing to make from source,
>as there is no binary for i86 Solaris) from /usr/local/ldm/ldm5.2.2/src,
>stating that my c compiler does not work with the test script.  I have tried
>setting the CC environment variable to /opt/sfw/bin/gcc and /usr/ucblib/cc,
>but no luck either way.  Is there a configure log I can check for verbose
>errors?

Since we do not support LDM-5.x anymore, your best course of action is
to download, build, and install the latest LDM release, ldm-6.0.15.
You can grab the source distribution for this release from the pub/ldm
directory of anonymous FTP on our FTP server ftp.unidata.ucar.edu.

Upgrading from LDM-5.x to to LDM-6.x is very easy if your existing
LDM-5.x installation is at least 5.1.3.  If you are upgrading from a
verion that is older than 5.1.3, you will need to delete and remake
your queue after building LDM-06 since the queue structure changed at
v5.1.3.  Even if you are running an LDM at least as new as 5.1.3,
it may be a good idea to delete and remake your queue.

Also, when you upgrade to LDM-6.x, please make sure that you add
the following 'exec' line in your ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf file:

exec    "rtstats -h rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu'

This line will report real time statistics back to Unidata.  You will
then be able to review the health of your data ingest through the
real time statistics pages that we provide:

Unidata Homepage
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu
  Data
  http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/data/index.html
    IDD
    http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/idd/index.html
      Current Operational Status
      http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/idd/iddgeneral.html
         Real Time Statistics
         http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/idd/rtstats/index.html

I usually look at the 'Statistics by Host' page:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/idd/rtstats/siteindex.php

to get an idea of all of the machines and domains participating in the
IDD.  Each name is a link to a paget that shows data feeds being
requested and various bits of information about those feeds:
latency, log(latency), histogram, volume, products, topology.
Each of these links will show either a plot or, in the case of
topology, the path the data took getting to a site.

Please let us know if you have any questions about upgrading to
LDM-6.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas