20040322: Unidata LDM feeds for Vietnam (cont.)

>From: Mai Nguyen <address@hidden>

Mai,

>1) >   Can we get an example file?
>Yes. I have put an example image file in
>   /home/ldm/VNdata/SVISSRF/SVI0100 (big file for half
>globe) and a format description file for it. Please have a
>look and foreward them to the SSEC folks for me.
>Thanks.

I tried to SSH to your machine, and I can not contact
it.  Is it turned on?

>  1(b): The image files in nawips user account are
>indeed McIDAS AREA which I've got from HNL WFO as
>examples.

OK.

>2) Re: My previous question about converting GRIB to
>GEMPAK.
>  The sample files are in /home/ldm/VNdata/hrm_grib,
>including GRIBs: hifff00000000p and hifff00000000p.idx
>           .tbl: hrmgrib.tbl
>  output file  : hrm_2003111600f000
> the last one is what we've got after running nagrib.
>But NAWIPS can't display it. Please check for me if it
>was correctly converted or it just the NAWIPS
>configuration matter.

I saw these files, and recognized them as GRIB and
decoded GRIB.  I will ask our GEMPAK expert to take
a look at the output file to see if it is displayable
in GEMPAK here.

>3) Observations data: I have tried to convert our TEXT
>SYNOP file into GEMPAK standard surface file using
>SFCFIL program. It created file but NAWIPS couldn't
>understand.
>   I've put the sample files in
>         /home/ldm/VNdata/SYNOP
>         AADD00/03/06 are the text input files
>         20040322_sao.gem is the output from SFCFIL
>   Please check for me as well.

We will take a look at this also.

>4) And please instruct me to install the UNIDATA's
>release of NAWIPS.

I want to wait until full DNS is setup for the machine
before doing this.

>5) The DNS is on the way and we expect it to come back
>soon. So please be patient.

OK.

>Thank you sooo much and hope to hear from you soon.

No worries.  As soon as DNS is setup, we should be able
to get everything we want accomplished quickly.