20040312: Unidata LDM feeds for Vietnam (cont.)

>From: Mai Nguyen <address@hidden>

Mai,

>Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

No worries.

>For the moment, I can only answer two of your
>questions
>
>> 2) we would like to install the LDM as the user
>> 'ldm' in /home/ldm
>>    (reasons are listed above)
>
>Done.  You can log on as user ldm now.

Thank you for quick action on this.  I logged on this morning and
did the following:

- downloaded the latest version of the LDM (the download was
  reasonably fast); defined a couple of environment variables
  in /home/ldm/.bashrc

- unpacked the LDM distribution (ldm-6.0.14.tar.Z)

- ran configure in the /home/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/src directory

- then built and installed the LDM:

<as 'ldm'>
cd /home/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/src
./configure
make
make install

I am now at the point where someone with superuser ('root')
access to your machine must take over for the final steps.
We are willing to do the work for you if you are willing to
provide 'root' login (many sites in the US trust us with
root access to their machines; we are trustworthy :-).  If
you decide to give us 'root' login, please send us the password
_without_ mentioning the machine name/IP or user account.

If you are not willing to give us 'root' login (an understandable
position), then the following needs to be done:

1) first, change the default shell for 'ldm' to the C shell.  The
   only reason for this is that the GEMPAK (NAWIPS) distribution
   is setup to use the C-shell, and it comes with files that
   use C-shell syntax for defining actions used by the LDM (e.g.,
   setting up GEMPAK environment variables for decoding data, etc.)

2) edit /etc/syslog.conf to setup LDM logging:

change:

*.info;mail.none;news.none;authpriv.none;cron.none      /var/log/messages

to:

*.info;mail.none;news.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;local0.none
/var/log/messages

add the following line immediately after the line you changed:

local0.debug                                            /home/ldm/logs/ldmd.log

   NOTE: the whitespaces in both of these lines are tabs NOT spaces!

3) after editing /etc/syslog.conf file, send a HUP signal to the syslog
   daemon:

ps -ax | grep syslogd           <- get the process ID of syslogd
kill -HUP 4458                  <- for example if the PID of syslogd is 4458

4) edit the file /etc/rpc and add the following line:

ldmd        300029  ldm

   NOTE: whitespaces are tabs in this line!

5) edit the file /etc/services and add the following line at the end of the
   file:

ldm             388/udp         unidata         # UCAR Unidata ldm
ldm             388/tcp         unidata         # UCAR Unidata ldm

   NOTE: white spaces are tabs in these lines!

5) finish the LDM installation:

cd /home/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/src
make install_setuids

Again, all 5 steps need to be done as 'root'.

The 6th step that is needed is to have your networking people setup
DNS services for this machine.  This is what will provide the machine
and domain names and, if done completely, will provide the forward
and reverse name lookup that is needed by the LDM.  While 'root'
is at it, it would be a good idea to modify the name of the machine
so that a 'uname -n' returns a fully qualified hostname.  Right
now, 'uname -n' returns 'nawips'.

After these steps are completed, I will log back on and setup the LDM
to begin ingesting data to test the network bandwidth to your machine.
When those tests are complete, we will look at your NAWPIS installation
to see how we can best install decoders so that data that is being
ingested will be decoded into GEMPAK-compatible formats.

>> 4) exactly what data do yo uwant to ingest once the
>> LDM is up and
>> running?  Do you want to run Unidata's NAWIPS
>> distribution for
>> display and analysis of the data ingested by the
>> LDM?
>
>Yes, I would like to get the Unidata's NAWIPS data. We
>have NAWIPS installed in this machine under user
>"nawips".
>
>The data we would like to get are
>+ Global model outputs:NOGAPS,AVN and others

The AVN data is available, so if data ingestion works well you will
have it.  The FNMOC data is available from Fleet Numerical as a
point-to-point LDM feed.  We will have to work with the Fleet Numerical
folks to see if they are willing to feed you this data.

>+ Satellite images for NorthWestPacific (Vietnam is in
>  the region :5N-24N, and 100E-110E)
>+ Quickscat data

The imagery data available in the Unidata IDD does not cover
your region.  We will have to investigate other methods to get
you access to the satellite data you desire.

>+ Other kind of observations (aircraft,..) if possible

Aircraft data is available through the IDD as a point-to-point feed
from the NOAA/FSL group.  We will have to work with the FSL folks to
see if they are willing to feed you the global ACARS data.

>+ And other useful data from UNIDATA that I am not
>  awared of yet.

The great majority of data that currently flows in the IDD is
tailored for the US.  If you network connection is good enough
(high enough bandwidth), we should investigate if you can receive
the high resolution GFS model data in the CONDUIT datastream.

>- The data for Continental US perhaps are not useful
>  for us.

I understand.

>But I think that the details are better to be
>discussed later after LDM is up and running.

I agree.  We are literally minutes away from having the LDM
in a position to begin ingesting data in a test mode.

>The other two of your questions I will have to check
>with other people in my office and will get back to
>you ASAP.

OK.

>For now, how can I specify my IP name?

You need to talk to your network administrator(s).

>Thank you again and best regards, Mai

You are welcome.