20040225: new ldm at stc

>From: "Anderson, Alan C. " <address@hidden>

Alan,

>After your last message,  I finished setting up an ldm install on our
>terminal  cyclone.
>
>Everything seems to be working ok,    the command  ldmadmin watch shows
>me the data products coming in  and there are data files in the places
>I would expect.   Running a mcidas session  (after altering the
>LOCDATA.BAT file and making it active) also shows that data is
>available.

Sounds good so far.  Why don't we stop here :-)

>One problem is that I do not find a log file  ( ldmd.log); that file
>exists but with  zero content.   I expected it to show me some
>information about how it connected with our upstream site and the
>structure is set up as it should be .    Any hints ?   Is it due to the
>way  ldmadmin -v  option,
>thought I would find what the default log setting is first.

I would say that the problem is either of two things:

- the /etc/syslog.conf file is not setup/not setup correctly to log
  output to the ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log file

- that syslogd is not running or is wedged.

- that ldmd.log was created by 'root' and the user 'ldm' does not
  have write permission to it

So, the easiest thing to do is first check to see if 'ldm' has write
permission to ldmd.conf.  If it doesn't, delete the file as 'root'
after stopping the LDM as 'ldm'.  Then start the LDM and see if the
file gets created and then updated.

Next, check to see that syslogd is running:

ps -eaf | grep syslogd

If it is running, try restarting it as 'root':

/etc/init.d/syslog stop
/etc/init.d/syslog start

I would then stop and restart your LDM.

Finally, to check the /etc/syslog.conf setup, use the program 'logger'
(a system utility):

logger -p local0.debug 'test of LDM logging'

If syslogd logging is setup correctly and syslogd is not wedged, then
this should result in the message 'test of LDM logging' being put
into ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log.  Be warned, however, that ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log
must exist before you do this.

>Thanks

No worries.