20040106: LDM "mirroring" question

Hi Carl,

>Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:29:11 -0600
>From: Carl Sinclair <address@hidden>
>To: Linda Miller <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20040106: Re: question

> I have not yet received an answer regarding the mirror of the LDM
> software and documentation.  This is something we'd like to implement in
> the next few weeks.  Is there any way we can get this request
> 'precipitated'?  Thanks!
>
> Carl

I don't think that "mirroring" the LDM software and documentation is
appropriate for the following reasons:

    1.  Doing it correctly will take time and effort on our side, which
        will subtract from the time and effort that goes into LDM
        development (remember, there's only one LDM developer here);

    2.  Mirroring was an appropriate technology a decade ago, when all
        we had were FTP directories.  Now we have a GForge site -- which
        is inappropriate for mirroring.

    3.  If mirroring isn't done exactly right, then the codebase can
        bifurcate, leading to increased resource utilization and slower
        development (we've seen this with the McIDAS package).

What is it, exactly, that you're trying to accomplish?  Perhaps there's
another way to do it.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson
LDM Developer