20040115: pqact(1) PIPE problems

Karen,

> To: address@hidden
> From: "Karen Cooper" <address@hidden>
> Subject: pqact PIPE problems

> I was wondering if there was possibly some limit on the number of pipes
> that could be open, and/or if anyone else has had a simliar problem with
> having many pipes open at once.

There is another limit that might be a factor: it is the total
number of FILE, STDIOFILE, DBFILE, and PIPE entries in a pqact(1)
configuration-file.  This limit is defined by the MAXENTRIES macro
in the file pqact/filel.c and is currently hard-coded at 32.  If a
data-product arrives that doesn't have a currently active process that
implements the action associated with the data-product, then the process
associated with the least-recently-used action will be terminated
(closing that action's associated file descriptor).

What is the total number of FILE, STDIOFILE, DBFILE, and PIPE entries in
your pqact(1) file?

Regards,
Steve Emmerson