20031210: Fwd: Re: 20031119: LDM build at Western Michigan (cont.)

>From: Karthik Samudram Jayaraman <address@hidden>

Karthik,

>Iam just forwarding the Email that i received from my Admin. So he
>is done with the changes to the syslog.conf. I hope now we can
>proceed with our LDM installation.

I logged onto s400 after seeing your note and took a look at the setup
in /cutrim1/ldm/bin.  A step needed to be performed by 'root' that I
sent you previously has not been done.  The step sets the ownership and
permissions on two files in the bin directory: rpc.ldmd and hupsyslog.

You need to have 'root' do the following:

cd /cutrim1/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/src
/usr/ccs/bin/make install_setuids

Without doing this, the LDM will not use port 388 for its transfers,
and you are likely top run into problems with things like firewall
settings.  Also the change allows 'hupsyslog' to send a HUP signal to
the syslog daemon.  This is used in rotating the LDM log files and
eliminates the need to copy the log file to a new file and then cat
/dev/null over the existing file.

I can proceed with the setup of the LDM confiuration (~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf)
and pattern action (~ldm/etc/pqact.conf) files, but we will have to wait
until the above step is done before starting the LDM.

In my last email, I asked you which file system was to be used to write
data ingested/decoded by the LDM, but you did not include this
information in any email.  Looking around on s400, I think that
/cutrim2 is the likely filesystem to use.  Please let me know as soon
as possible so we can finally get things running.

In browsing around this morning, I ran into several other things that
are not as they should be:

- I tried to login as 'mcidas' and 'mcadde' but was unable to using
  either of the two passwords that you sent previously.

- the 'mcadde' account appears to be a login account, but I can't
  be sure since the passwords I have in hand are incorrect

- /etc/services indicates that the system has not been setup for
  McIDAS ADDE services.  Since I don't have permission to look at
  /etc/inetd.conf, I can't tell if this is also not setup, but
  I would guess that it is not

So, from all I can see right now (more may become clear later), here
are things that must be attended to:

1) a clear statement of where decoded data should be written
2) valid login for 'mcidas'
3) 'root' has to insure that the HOME directory for 'mcadde' is the
   same as for 'mcidas'.  Also the 'mcadde' account must not be a login
   account
4) the 'make install_setuids' step must be done by 'root' in the
   /cutrim1/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/src directory

Would things proceed faster if Elen or I talked to Leonard directly?

Tom