20031119: LDM build at Western Michigan (cont.)

>From: Karthik Samudram Jayaraman <address@hidden>

Karthik,

>From address@hidden Tue Nov 18 08:11:55 2003

>Thanx for your detailed mail.

>Now i re installed LDM on our machine to make sure i did'nt miss
>anything. I face an error here during the make process.

>SO i thought i could get your help once again.

>Iam attaching all the 3 log files for your reference.

>Iam working on it here. But since we are already behind schedule in
>our installation, i thought i would get your help at the beginning.

--- config.log ---
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:667: checking user-defined C compiler "/opt/Vendor/SUNWspro/bin/cc"
configure:676: checking C compiler
configure:685: /opt/Vendor/SUNWspro/bin/cc -c -O3 -DNDEBUG conftest.c 1>&5
cc: Warning: option -3 passed to ld
configure:739: checking the installation prefix
configure:755: checking domain name
configure:787: checking how to run the C preprocessor
configure:808: /opt/Vendor/SUNWspro/bin/cc -E -DNDEBUG conftest.c >/dev/null
2>conftest.out
configure:867: checking for AIX
configure:902: checking for HP-UX
configure:940: checking whether memory-mapping by region is appropriate
configure:957: checking the C preprocessor
configure:964: /opt/Vendor/SUNWspro/bin/cc -E -DNDEBUG conftest.c >/dev/null
2>conftest.out
configure:983: checking for ar
configure:1015: checking for perl
configure:1059: checking for POSIX shell
configure:1081: checking for yacc
configure:1128: checking for yacc library
configure:1222: checking mmap()
configure:1260: checking LDMHOME
configure:1277: checking size of int
configure:1296: /opt/Vendor/SUNWspro/bin/cc -o conftest -O3 -DNDEBUG
conftest.c  1>&5
cc: Warning: option -3 passed to ld
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- 3
usage: ld [-6:abc:d:e:f:h:il:mo:p:rstu:z:B:CD:F:GI:L:M:N:P:Q:R:S:VY:?] file(s)
        [-64]           enforce a 64-bit link-edit

The problem was the setting of CFLAGS to -O3.  The man page for the Sun
C compiler states that the optimization must be set as follows:

User Commands                                               cc(1)

NAME
     cc - C compiler

          -xO3 In addition to optimizations performed at the -xO2
               level, also optimizes references and definitions
               for external variables.  This level does not trace
               the effects of pointer assignments.  When compil-
               ing either device drivers that are not properly
               protected by volatile, or programs that modify
               external variables from within signal handlers,
               use -xO2.

i.e.:

CFLAGS=-xO3, not CFLAGS=-O3

>From address@hidden Tue Nov 18 08:11:55 2003

>Iam really gld to see your mail.... really really...
>
>I can understand taht you were very busy. But i was getting nervous
>because we are behind schedule on our installation here. Thats why i
>thought i wud disturb you thro telephone.

Email is _always_ the best way to contact us.

>yeah the passwords have been  changed they are :
>Now you should be able to log on.
>Sorry abt that.

OK.

>Also note that the home of LDM is /cutrim1/ldm
>Thanx a lot for the reply.

I logged into s400.wood.wmich as 'ldm' and did the following:

1) edit .cshrc

   - changed the setting of CFLAGS to -O (was -O3)
   - commented out the setting of LD_YACC and LIBS

2) unset the definitions of LD_YACC and LIBS in the login environment:

   unsetenv LD_YACC LIBS
   source .cshrc

3) cd /cutrim1/ldm

4) wiped out the previous LDM build attempt:

   rm -rf ldm-6.0.14

5) unpacked a fresh copy of LDM-6.0.14:

   tar xvf ldm-6.0.14.tar

6) compressed the tar file:

   compress ldm-6.0.14.tar

7) CDed to the ldm-6.0.14/src directory and ran configure followed by
   make:

   cd /cutrim1/ldm-6.0.14/src
   ./configure
   make
   make install

The LDM installation is _NOT_ finished at this point.  Someone needs
to perform the final installations step as 'root':

cd /cutrim1/ldm/ldm-6.0.14/src
/usr/ccs/bin/make install_setuids

Next, root should setup the /etc/syslog.conf file so that the LDM can
log in /cutrim1/ldm/logs/ldmd.log.  The modifications that are needed
are:

change:

*.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit        /var/adm/messages

to:

.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;local0.none     /var/adm/messages

add:

local0.debug                                    /cutrim1/ldm/logs/ldmd.log

Be careful, white space should be tabs!!!!!

After making the changes, a HUP signal needs to be sent to syslogd,
so it will reread its configuratoin file.

After making these changes, the LDM configuration files
/cutrim1/etc/ldmd.conf and /cutrim1/etc/pqact.conf have to be setup to
ingest the data that you want (ldmd.conf) and do the processing you
want (pqact.conf).

One more thing that the user 'root' should attend to.  The user 'mcadde'
should have the same HOME directory as the user 'mcidas'.  The 'mcadde'
account should _not_ be a login account.  Also, the McIDAS ADDE
remote server stuff needs to be installed:

<as 'root'>
cd /cutrim1/mcidas
sh ./mcinet2003.sh install mcadde

This needs to be done _AFTER_ the 'mcadde' login has been fixed as
per the comments above, not before (important!).

Tom