20031113: LDM - RH Linux - IP address used by the LDM

Graham,

> To: address@hidden
> From: "graham stork" <address@hidden>
> Subject: LDM - RH Linux - IP address used by the LDM

> Institution: National Weather Service /
> Package Version: 5.1.4
> Operating System: RH Linux
> Hardware Information: Dell
> Inquiry: I have a linux based version of ldm running on a computer
>     with 23 virtual IP addresses.
>
> eth0 is aaa.bbb.ccc.10      This is the real IP address of the box
> eth0:1 is aaa.bbb.ccc.11
> eth0:2 is aaa.bbb.ccc.12
>
> Occassionally the ldm gets reset and starts to use one of the virtual
> ip addresses defined on the computer. We are not sure exactly how this
> happens, but when it does happen ldm connections fail.  Is there a way
> that I can guarantee that the ldm always runs using the real IP address,
> the IP address to which the RPC services are bound?

I need more information.  What is the LDM process that's getting
reset?  Is it the top-level LDM daemon that listening for connections
from downstream LDM-s, is it a child LDM process that's sending
data-products, or is it a child LDM process that's receiving
data-products?

Also, some log entries that illustrate the problem might be helpful.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson
LDM Developer