20031026: LDM - solaris 8 - iam getting started on this (cont.)

>From: Karthik Samudram Jayaraman <address@hidden>

Karthik,

>Thanx a lot for your reply.
>
>Now I transferred the file to my Sun Blade system using another
>Solaris system ( using sftp ) to ensure teh transfer of the file in
>Binary mode.
>
>And as per your instruction, I did the " uncompress ldm-6.0.14.tar.Z"
>Now I get an error "ldm-6.0.14.tar.Z: not in compressed format".

I would bet that the first transfer you made was not in binary mode
and the file is now damaged.  I recommend using FTP from your
Sun Blade directly to ftp.unidata.ucar.edu making sure that the
transfer is in binary mode.

I know that ldm-6.0.14.tar.Z is OK, because we were FTPing
it to 12 different machines in the LDM training workshop we
held Th-Sat.

>Do you think i missed any step in the installation process?

I think that your original FTP (psftp) was bad.  The other possibility
-- and this is remote -- is that the transfer got damaged during the
FTP even though it was in binary mode.

>Thanx
>Karthik Samudram Jayaraman.

Tom

>From address@hidden Sun Oct 26 12:28:57 2003

Will try right away.

Karthik

>From address@hidden Sun Oct 26 12:53:15 2003

Dear Mr Tom,

It worked. When i downloaded thro ftp , iam able to uncompress the
file. Now iam gonna proceed happily. Hearty thanks.

Will trouble you when i get more problems.

Karthik