20030925: scour doesn't purge links like it used to

Arthur,

> To: address@hidden
> From: "Arthur A. Person" <person@localhost.localdomain>
> Subject: scour doesn't purge links

> I store some files in our ldm data tree as links to regular files and have
> noticed that my links are not being purged by scour any more.  It looks
> like the "-type f" flag was added to "find" in scour in a recent ldm
> release and I was wondering why it was necessary to add this.

I checked the archive.  Use of the "-f" option dates from release 5.0.2
of the LDM -- so it's been around since October 1995.

Could it be that your test(1) utility has recently changed the meaning
of the "-f" option?

> Normally, I
> would think that links in a data directory tree should be purged as well
> as regular data files.  Comments...?

I have no idea.  I take it that you'd like it to remove links.

Feel free to change the "-f" option to "-e".  We'll have to ruminate
about changing the distribution, however, because it might cause
behavior that's unexpected by others.

>                                 Art.
>
> --
> Arthur A. Person
> Research Assistant, System Administrator
> Penn State Department of Meteorology
> email:  address@hidden, phone:  814-863-1563

Regards,
Steve Emmerson